Monday, August 8, 2011

Front to back

The studio where we draw above the Portuguese pool hall is pleasantly air-conditioned. Alan gave me a brand new eraser because I'd forgotten mine - Maureen gave me a lovely soft carbon pencil to try and during the break, Markus passed around strawberry, yogurt candies. They are an accomplished, dedicated group of drawers - there is atmosphere.
When I left to go to my car the, the intersection at James and Mulberry was blocked by an old world Portuguese religious procession, with a fantastic brass band and individuals carrying banners and incense shakers. It only lasted fifteen or twenty minutes but I was mesmerized by the music and their faces! 


front view chalk on manila 18"x24"


back view chalk on manila 18"x24"

6 comments:

  1. Both of your drawings have me mesmerized. They are full of music, having a choreographed stillness, a sense of joyful ritual, on the edge of dance.

    I love how adventuresome your outings can be.

    You are certainly blessed with a great group of artists, aren't you?!

    Wish I could stop in sometime with some charcoal.

    Looking forward to more of your wonderful lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marcia,

    I want to drop in with Melinda. Now wouldn't that be a surprise -- but a delightful one. I love your description and your gorgeous drawings.
    Love Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melinda your comments have had me dancing and humming ever since they landed!
    It would be a huge honor to have you join me here on James North and I guarantee you'd have a lot of fun and so would I!
    xo, Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Barbara, then you and Melinda must both drop in!!! I would be extremely delighted!
    love, Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Andressa for your lovely comment!

    ReplyDelete